Physicians and healthcare developers from Rockaway Beach in New York went before a community board to discuss plans of opening an ASC on Rockaway Beach Boulevard which is set to open in 2016.
Here are eight facts about the medical facility:
1. Mark Gelwan, MD, along with nine other doctors, initiated the project in hopes to bring a top quality ASC to the peninsula of New York.
2. The facility will feature an ASC in addition to urgent care, dialysis, oncology, pain management, physical therapy and many other services.
3. Dr. Gelwan consulted with North Shore-LIJ to guide him through the process of opening such a facility.
4. The facility will be also be developed by a joint venture entity, 105 Rock Beach Realty, LLC, although Dr. Gelwan and his group will be the main tenants.
5. 105 Rock Beach Realty is a partnership between the Community Healthcare Associates, a developer with four complexes in New Jersey and Rock Beach Realty Group, operator of the Key Food until it was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.
6. Bill Colgan, one of the founders of CHA, states partnering with Rock Beach Realty Group will ensure the project's success, which is set to employ over 100 people in the community.
7. The building of the facility will happen in two phases in order to utilize the 100,000 square feet allotted for development.
8. The building will be elevated out of the floodplain thus enabling backup power generation on site.
For more ASC-related news:
HCA Midwest Health to open Kansas City surgery center in new location: 5 things to know
Metro Health seeks approval to transfer ASC ownership
Beloit Health System ASC earns long-awaited CON: 4 key points