Here are eight hospitals and health systems that opened or announced plans for ASCs in March.
1. Stuart, Fla.-based Martin Health System, Compass Surgical Partners and a group of physician investors will open the Stuart Surgery Center in early 2018.
2. Cincinnati-based Mercy Health began construction on the three-story Eastgate Medical Center, which will feature an ASC, in the eastern part of the city.
3. Bakersfield, Calif.-based Rio Bravo Medical Center is developing four medical buildings to add to its campus. The campus currently has a 65,000-square-foot cancer and imaging center with an attached surgery center. By the end of 2019, the cancer and surgery center will double in size.
4. Milwaukee-based Froedtert Hospital & the Medical College of Wisconsin opened a health center in Oak Creek, Wis. At 109,000 square feet, the Drexel Town Square Health Center contains an outpatient surgery center, cancer center, pharmacy and lab services.
5. Portland-based Maine Medical Center won board approval to launch an expansion project in early May. The five-year expansion plan includes a new surgery center and an employee parking garage.
6. Nashville, Tenn.-based Saint Thomas Health purchased three acres of land in Murfreesboro, Tenn., to construct a 13,000-square-foot surgery center with two operating rooms and one procedure room.
7. Nashville, Tenn.-based Vanderbilt University Medical Center proposed the purchase of up to 14 acres of property for a new ASC and pediatric clinic. The Murfreesboro City Council voted to approve the property sale.
8. Opelika-based East Alabama Medical Center plans to open a freestanding emergency department with an ASC in Auburn, Ala. The ASC will have four operating and procedure rooms.