The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention makes the following nine recommendations to prevent MRSA.
1. Comply with CDC hand hygiene recommendations.
2. Implement Contact Precautions for MRSA colonized and infected patients.
3. Recognize previously MRSA colonized and infected patients.
4. Rapidly report MRSA lab results.
5. Provide MRSA education for healthcare providers.
6. Active surveillance testing – screening of patients to detect colonization even if no evidence of infection.
7. Other novel strategies.
9. Chlorhexidine bathing.