Here are the patient risk scores for the 10 most frequently provided ambulatory surgery center procedure groups in 2010 for ASCs and hospital outpatient departments, according to MedPAC data. The risk scores are calculated using Centers for Medicare and Medicaid hierarchical condition categories risk-adjustment model used in Medicare Advantage to measure patient severity, according to the report.
ASCs had lower patient risk scores for all procedures.
1. Cataract procedure with IOL insert
2. Lower GI endoscopy
3. Level III nerve injections
4. Level I upper GI procedures
5. Laser eye procedures
6. Level I nerve injections
7. Colorectal cancer screening: Colonoscopy
8. Level III nerve injections
9. Level I arthroscopy
10. Level III repair and plastic eye procedures
More Articles on Surgery Centers:
20 Most Frequently Performed Medicare Surgical Services in ASCs
8 Keys to Keeping Surgery Centers a Profitable Business
8 Surgery Centers With New Electronic Medical Records