More than 2,000 operations have been performed at the Surgery Center at Shrewsbury (Mass.) since it opened in May 2018, according to Worcester Business Journal.
Five things to know:
1. UMass Memorial Health Care and Reliant Medical Group, both based in Worcester, Mass., partnered with Quincy, Mass.-based Shields Health Care Group to establish the $31 million center.
"It's three great organizations that recognized a need for high quality but at a lower cost, outside the hospital setting," Prashanth Bala, Shields' director of ASCs, told WBJ.
2. It was the first ASC established in Massachusetts after the state lifted a moratorium on new ASC construction in 2017, as Becker's previously reported. The moratorium had been in place since 1971.
3. The competing organizations said they partnered because reimbursement for outpatient procedures makes ASC ownership worthwhile — plus, the center is designed to satisfy the Quadruple Aim, according to Leon Josephs, MD, chief of specialties at Reliant.
4. Shields manages the facility, which has a staff of 20-plus surgeons from UMass Memorial and Reliant.
5. Reliant Medical Group and Shields Health Care Group have since partnered to develop an additional ASC in Natick, Mass. The multispecialty ASC is expected to open in 2020, with the project costing an estimated $10 million.