Bariatric surgeon David Kim, MD, of Colleyville, Texas, pleaded guilty to accepting $4.5 million in kickbacks for referring patients to Dallas-based Forest Park Medical Center, Dallas News reports.
Here's what you should know:
1. Dr. Kim entered a plea deal. He admitted to receiving about $4.5 million in kickbacks between 2009 and 2012.
2. The money was used to market Dr. Kim's medical practice, Colleyville-based Kim Bariatrics.
3. Dr. Kim was an investor in Forest Park Medical Center. He faces up to five years in federal prison.
4. As part of the plea deal, Dr. Kim will pay the government $2.2 million.
5. Dr. Kim is the third physician to plead guilty in the kickbacks case. Twenty-one people have been charged in what is believed to be a $200 million healthcare scheme; about $40 million was allegedly paid in bribes and kickbacks. Six physicians pled not guilty.
6. Dr. Kim also entered a guilty plea for a tax case. Dr. Kim underreported $18.3 million in income between May 2012 and August 2015, according to court documents. He faces up to three years in prison and has agreed to pay $5.1 million in restitution for the tax case.