Nearly 12,000 respondents participated in the American Academy of Professional Coders’ 2017 salary survey, which showed an overall increase in average salary and a slight decrease in unemployment from 2016. Here are six key insights:
- Coding and billing managers were the highest earners for the first time since 2013 with an average salary of $64,623.
- The average salary for coders and billers grew by 4.8 percent from 2016.
- The largest spike in average salary occurs in the five- to nine-year range of experience.
- Professionals with the CPC-I certification had the highest average salary in 2017, at $75,077.
- Respondents with any AAPC credential made $1,626 more than the average for all employed respondents.
- Respondents working in outpatient hospital facilities saw a 10.1 percent increase in average salary.
More on coding, billing and collections: