ASCs should follow best practices to avoid getting tripped up by complicated payer contracts, according to Healthcents, a managed care contracting services company.
Healthcents CEO Steve Selbst shared five best practices during a March 26 webinar:
1. Examine top codes and identify which ones drive revenue.
2. Benchmark against existing contracts with other payers to determine whether certain areas are under-reimbursed.
3. Analyze strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats related to payer fee schedules.
4. Compose a strong proposal letter, deliver it to the appropriate network manager and follow up.
5. Establish rapport with the payer representative and respond quickly to any proposals or requests for additional information.