The Joint Commission's five new and revised elements of performance for fluoroscopy go into effect Jan. 1, 2019.
Here's what you should know:
1. The requirements apply to accredited ambulatory care organizations, office-based surgery practices and hospital organizations that provide fluoroscopy services.
2. The changes address the following:
- Equipment checks to ensure the fluoroscopy unit works properly
- Physician and staff education on radiation dose management and equipment operation
- Designating a radiation safety officer
- Gathering radiation dose information
- Establishing radiation dose thresholds and investigating instances when the radiation dose thresholds are surpassed
3. Three changes also revise the wording of computed tomography requirements.
4. The Joint Commission posted the updates on its website. They will also be published in AHC and OBS accreditation manuals this fall.
5. Two additional fluoroscopy changes went into effect July 1.