The Joint Commission recently released four new performance measures for total hip and total knee replacement procedures.
Here's what you should know:
1. The measures correlate to the following areas:
- Regional anesthesia
- Postoperative ambulation on the day of surgery
- Discharged to home
- Preoperative functional/health status assessment
2. Organizations need to collect data related to the measures beginning Jan. 1, 2018. The data must be reported quarterly.
3. The measures aim to address what CMS described as "significant variance in the quality and cost of care for these surgeries."
4. The Joint Commission worked with an advisory panel to develop the measures. The measures were publicly vetted and rigorously tested before being implemented.
For a full breakdown of the new measures in relation to an outpatient facility, click here.