Patient Safety Tool: Waste Identification Tool
The waste identification tool includes five modules based on geographic areas within a hospital: ward module, patient care module, diagnosis module, treatment module and patient module. Each module includes instructions and worksheets for data collection to ascertain whether waste is present.
For example, the ward module asks reviewers if there are inappropriately used or empty beds; healthcare-associated infections; adverse drug events; procedure complications; unnecessary hospitalization; flow delay and clinical care delay. Each of these potential events poses a risk for waste.
Upon completion of the modules, providers may identify strategies to reduce waste.
Download the IHI's hospital inpatient waste identification tool (pdf) for use in your own facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
More Articles on Patient Safety:Humble Surgical Hospital in Texas Receives Joint Commission Accreditation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Participants race to increase colon cancer awareness during 2017 Greater Chattanooga Rump Run 5K and Fun Walk: 4 takeaways
- US woman dies from superbug resistant to 26 antibiotics — 8 things to know
- Healthcare nanotechnology market to grow at a CAGR above 12% till 2024
- American Anesthesiology to exhibit at ASA's Practice Management 2017: 3 things to know
- Gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumor patients utilize combination therapy: 5 study insights