Patient Safety Tool: Waste Identification Tool
The waste identification tool includes five modules based on geographic areas within a hospital: ward module, patient care module, diagnosis module, treatment module and patient module. Each module includes instructions and worksheets for data collection to ascertain whether waste is present.
For example, the ward module asks reviewers if there are inappropriately used or empty beds; healthcare-associated infections; adverse drug events; procedure complications; unnecessary hospitalization; flow delay and clinical care delay. Each of these potential events poses a risk for waste.
Upon completion of the modules, providers may identify strategies to reduce waste.
Download the IHI's hospital inpatient waste identification tool (pdf) for use in your own facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
More Articles on Patient Safety:Humble Surgical Hospital in Texas Receives Joint Commission Accreditation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- AmSurg Q1 same-center revenue rallies 8.8%; SCA, SwiftPath partner on outpatient total joint replacement support services & more — 6 key updates on ASC companies
- How CJR & bundled payments will impact orthopedics: 6 surgeons weigh in
- Spring Creek Surgical Center receives AAAHC accreditation
- From physician to billionaire: Dr. Keith Dunleavy’s net worth tops $1B with healthcare data analytics firm
- 5 most read GI/endoscopy stories: May 16 – May 20