Joint Commission Releases Tool to Combat Miscommunication
The Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare has released a new Hand-off Communications Targeted Solutions Tool, designed to reduce the risk of miscommunication among healthcare providers.
An estimated 80 percent of serious medical errors involve miscommunication between caregivers when patients are transferred or handed-off.
The targeted solutions tool was created to measure the effectiveness of hand-offs within an organization or to another facility and provide proven solutions to improve performance. Healthcare organizations that piloted the tool reported reduced readmissions, increased patient and staff satisfaction as well as successful patient transfers.
The targeted solutions include the following recommendations:
• Standardize training on how to conduct a hand-off.
• Use standardized forms and methods every time a hand-off occurs.
• Examine the workflow of caregivers to ensure smooth hand-offs.
• Identify and stress key information about each patient before hand-offs.
View the hand-off communication targeted solutions tool in full by clicking here.
More Articles on Patient Safety:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- House Votes to Repeal the PPACA — for 37th Time
- 6 Statistics on Concierge and Direct Pay Physician Practices
- Best Practices: Documentation and Reporting for Post-Operative Pain Management Procedures in Anesthesia
- 5 Things to Know About Medical Office Visits in 2012
- Medical Facilities Corporation Reports Higher Revenue After Arkansas Surgical Hospital Acquisition