Infection Prevention Week: 10 Ways to Protect Patients From Infection
"10 ways to Protect Patients From Infection." APIC suggests the following:
1. Clean your hands both before and after patient care.
2. Use gloves correctly.
3. Get your shots, and ensure those close to you also get vaccinated.
4. Follow the rules of isolation.
5. Follow safe injection practices: one needle, one syringe, one time.
6. Prioritize patient identification: right drug, right time, right dose.
7. Maintain clean patient rooms and equipment.
8. Know when antibiotic use is not appropriate.
9. Wear clothing that will not become an infection source.
10. Know about the infection preventionist(s) at your institution.
More Articles on Quality:
Patient Safety Tool: Infection Prevention and You
PCORI Targets Awards Program Towards Unexpected Allies
The Joint Commission: 5 Steps to Handling a Sentinel Event
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality