Hand Hygiene Story Roundup
1. A fist bump, instead of a handshake, may reduce the rate of bacterial transmission as three times less surface area is exposed and contact time is 2.7 times less with a fist bump than a handshake, according to a study in the Journal of Hospital Infection.
2. Washing hands before wearing nonsterile gloves does not decrease the bacterial count on the gloves, making that step unnecessary, according to a study in the American Journal of Infection Control.
3. A survey by DebMed shows only 30 percent of healthcare professionals follow the World Health Organization's "My Five Moments for Hand Hygiene" guidelines even though 90 percent believe the guidelines present good practices.
4. Didier Pittet, MD, director of the infection control program and the Collaborating Center for Patient Safety at the WHO, was the head of the team developing "My Five Moments for Hand Hygiene." He offers five tips on improving hand hygiene compliance.
5. The IntelligentM Smartband is worn on the wrist and communicates with hand sanitation devices, tracking the hand hygiene actions of healthcare professionals. In the event a professional does not comply with hand hygiene protocol, the Smartband will vibrate three times to remind the provider to wash his or her hands.
Additionally, here are ten free Patient Safety Tools on hand hygiene that can be downloaded for use in your facility.
More Articles on Quality and Infection Control:Burnout Reported More Frequently in Ambulatory Physicians
9 Quality Reporting Programs to Know in the ASC Industry
Cut SSI in Half: 6 Tips for Orthopedic Surgeons
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
10 Things to Know About Infection ControlRead Now
- Randy Oostra, Michael Sanborn, and Dr. Michael Schatzlein to Speak at Becker's Hospital Meeting
- 6 Questions to Help Identify the Best Candidates for Hire
- Medical Device Industry leader to Know: Guntmar Eisen of Paradigm Spine
- Unique Methods of Payment: Opportunities for ASCs?
- ASC M&A Activity: 4 Big Trends for 2014 From HealthCare Appraisers