ECRI Institute Releases 2013 Top 10 Health IT Hazards
The organization puts together an annual list of potential technological hazards that it believes deserve special attention in the coming year. This year, the 10 health IT hazards include:
1. Alarm hazards
2. Medication administration errors using infusion pumps
3. Unnecessary exposures and radiation burns from diagnostic radiology procedures
4. Patient/data mismatches in EHRs and other health IT systems
5. Interoperability failures with medical devices and health IT systems
6. Air embolism hazards
7. Inattention to the needs of pediatric patients when using "adult" technologies
8. Inadequate reprocessing of endoscopic devices and surgical instruments
9. Caregiver distractions from smartphones and other mobile devices
10. Surgical fires
More Articles on Patient Safety:Illinois' Quad City Ambulatory Surgery Center Achieves Accreditation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.