3 Questions to Answer Before Choosing a Hand Hygiene Measurement Program
The Joint Commission, the following questions should be answered before choosing a method of compliance measurement.
1. Why do you want to measure hand hygiene practices, and what are your organization's goals? A clear answer to why an organization is measuring hand hygiene can be crucial for knowing which information to collect, how and how often to collect it.
Sign up for our FREE E-Weekly for more coverage like this sent to your inbox!
2. What elements of hand hygiene do you want to measure? Narrowing down a measurement focus to a few key indicators is essential to the logistics of data collection.
3. How do you want to measure hand hygiene? There are three main ways to measure hand hygiene — direct observation, measuring product use and conducting surveys — each with various advantages and disadvantages. Will the organization choose one or use a combination? Which approach is best for the organization's purposes in measuring hand hygiene in the first place?
More Articles on Infection Control:
No Difference in Common Skin Antiseptic Effectiveness
6 Statistics on SSIs at ASCs
7 Tips for ASC Infection Control Compliance
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- 6 Recent Key Notes on ASC Management & Development Companies – MFC, Northstar Healthcare, SCA & More
- Publisher's Letter: ASC Review, March/April 2014
- Survey: Uninsured Rate Drops to 15.9%
- National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month: Q&A With ACG President Dr. Harry Sarles
- February 2014 Issue of Becker's ASC Review