Patient Safety Tool: Universal Protocol & Fire Risk Assessment for Bedside Procedure
Christiana Care Health System provides a free, downloadable Universal Protocol and fire risk assessment for bedside procedure.
The tool was developed as part of a series of materials for use in fire safety and risk assessment efforts. Christiana Care notes that there are about 550-650 surgical fires in the United States annually, citing data from ECRI Institute, with about 20-30 surgical fires causing serious injury or disfiguration and 1-2 fires causing fatalities.
The two-page bedside procedure document provides the steps for performing pre-procedure verification, side/site marking, time out, fire risk assessment and then explanations of how to perform these steps properly.
Download Christiana Care's Universal Protocol and fire risk assessment for bedside procedure (doc) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Surgical Fires:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
Pediatric Specialists of Virginia achieve AAAHC accreditation — 5 key notesRead Now
- Immunotherapy may extend pancreatic cancer patient survival: 6 key notes
- WAMC Gastrointestinal Endoscopy unit receives recognition for excellence: 5 key notes
- Woman wins $1.5M in verdict after Bloomsburg University Nurse Anesthesia Program dismissal
- 4 things to know about rising rates of chlorine-resistant parasite
- Drew Memorial Hospital discuss plans for new surgery center project: 5 key notes