Patient Safety Tool: Universal Protocol & Fire Risk Assessment for Bedside Procedure
Christiana Care Health System provides a free, downloadable Universal Protocol and fire risk assessment for bedside procedure.
The tool was developed as part of a series of materials for use in fire safety and risk assessment efforts. Christiana Care notes that there are about 550-650 surgical fires in the United States annually, citing data from ECRI Institute, with about 20-30 surgical fires causing serious injury or disfiguration and 1-2 fires causing fatalities.
The two-page bedside procedure document provides the steps for performing pre-procedure verification, side/site marking, time out, fire risk assessment and then explanations of how to perform these steps properly.
Download Christiana Care's Universal Protocol and fire risk assessment for bedside procedure (doc) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Surgical Fires:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- ICD-10 grace period up Oct. 1: 5 things to know
- Uber jumps into healthcare with Circulation platform for non-emergent care: 6 key points
- Back in business: Caryl Serbin on big challenges for ASCs & launching Serbin Medical Billing
- ASD Management: How a private firm with decades of experience can improve your ASC
- Experienced RN Administrator / Venice, FL