The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Patient Safety Tool: Surgical Fire Prevention Poster
ECRI Institute provides a free, downloadable poster detailing recommendations to prevent surgical fires.
The poster, titled "Only You Can Prevent Surgical Fires" and developed in collaboration with the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation, offers recommendations in six categories:
- At the start of each surgery
- During head, face, neck and upper-chest surgery
- During oropharyngeal surgery (e.g., tonsillectomy)
- During tracheostomy
- During bronchoscopic surgery
- When using electrosurgery, electrocautery or laser
ECRI notes that the applicability of its recommendations must be considered individually for each patient.
Download the surgical fires poster (pdf) for use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Surgical Fires:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- The Future of ACOs for Anesthesiologists
- Healthcare Exchange Traded Funds See Biggest Boom in Years
- FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Off-Label Use Information Dissemination
- Surgical Care Affiliates President & CEO Andrew Hayek Among 2014 Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellows
- A Look at ASC Valuation Through the Eyes of M&D Companies