James Martinez, a consulting pharmacist who works with surgery centers in Florida, told The Opthalmic ASC five ways ASCs can keep drug costs down.
Here are the insights Mr. Martinez shared:
1. Join a group purchasing option. GPOs have a better position when negotiating prices with vendors and manufacturers.
2. Watch your inventory. Make sure medications approaching their expiration date are used in a timely manner and reordered.
3. Order necessary medications in advance. Order essential medications for procedures two months in advance.
4. Use more than one wholesale distributor. Navigating drug shortages is easier when ASCs use multiple distributors from different geographic areas.
5. Consult an expert. Receiving insight from either a pharmacist or someone experienced in pharmaceutical purchasing is essential for ASCs struggling with high drug prices.