Medigus announced that CMS posted new payment information for endoscopic fundoplication procedures, such as those completed with MUSE (Medigus Ultrasonic Surgical Endostapler).
Here are five notes:
1. This new payment information follows the American Medical Association's decision earlier this year to create a new Category I CPT code for esophagogastric fundoplasty.
2. The payment value assigned to physicians is 12.43 total relative value units, yielding a national unadjusted payment amount of $445.34.
3. The payment value for outpatient hospitals has been grouped into Ambulatory Payment Classification 5331, which has a national unadjusted payment amount of $3,613.
4. These values are expected to take effect on Jan. 1, 2016.
5. The MUSE platform allows a physician to perform fundoplication, a procedure intended to deliver long-term relief from GERD.