The Connecticut State Medical Society elected Claudia Gruss, MD, the organization's 180th president.
Here's what you should know:
1. Dr. Gruss is a gastroenterologist at Danbury, Conn.-based Western Connecticut Medical Group.
2. She is an advocate for women physicians as well as organized medicine.
3. Dr. Gruss held leadership roles with the Connecticut State Medical Society, Fairfield County Medical Association and Women's Medical Association of Fairfield County.
4. She is a American Gastroenterological Association, American College of Gastroenterology and American College of Physicians member.
5. Dr. Gruss succeeds Steven Thornquist, MD, who completed his term as the society's 179th president.
6. Dr. Thornquist said, "[Dr. Gruss] is an insightful, thoughtful and sincere leader, able to consider both sides of an issue before deciding and willing to lead others to the best path. We will be in good hands this next year."