CMS has proposed payment cuts for lower GI/endoscopy procedures, including colonoscopy, for 2016. The GI societies have vocally expressed intent to fight these reimbursement cuts.
The American College of Gastroenterology has now released a playbook for its members to participate in fighting colonoscopy cuts. Here are six recommendations from the guide.
1. The ACG urges its members to sign a petition demanding Congress halt the reimbursement cuts.
2. The GI society also asks its members to engage their staff and Medicare patients.
3. The ACG suggests gastroenterologists individually write U.S. representatives and senators to express support for the SCREEN act. Senate Bill 1079 and House Bill 2035 address these impending cuts.
4. The playbook calls for GI physicians to also write directly to CMS leaders.
5. Additionally, the ACG suggests writing to local newspapers and media outlets.
6. Finally, the GI society asks its members to turn to social media to promote awareness of the potential reimbursement cuts.