There are 12,852 gastroenterologists in the United States, according to the Health eCareers Network 2015 Gastroenterology Fact Sheet.
Here are seven things to know about GI physician positions across the country, according to the Health eCareers report.
1. Within the past year there were 1,347 gastroenterologist jobs posted with 667 employers competing to attract GI physicians.
2. The top five states seeking gastroenterologists are California, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania and Washington.
3. The majority of jobs openings (94 percent) posted on Health eCareers were focused on general gastroenterology.
4. Nearly half of postings (47.5 percent) were for jobs at hospitals or health systems.
5. The number of general gastroenterology job postings increased 27 percent from the first quarter of 2015 to the second quarter of the year.
6. Gastroenterologists make an average salary of $284,000, compared to an average salary of $249,353 for all physicians and surgeons.
7. More than half of GI physicians (54 percent) are satisfied with their compensation, and 59 percent are confident they could find a new position.