The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy appointed Steven Edmundowicz, MD, its next president.
Here's six things to know about him:
1. Dr. Edmundowicz began his term during Digestive Disease Week, June 2 to June 5 in Washington, D.C. He will serve in the position until May 2019.
2. He became an ASGE member in 1989. He was named an ASGE fellow in 2006.
3. During his ASGE tenure, Dr. Edmundowicz served on ASGE's Governing Board from 2010 to 2013, as treasurer from 2013 to 2017 and as president-elect from 2017 to 2018. He is also a past ASGE Foundation trustee.
4. He earned his medical degree from Philadelphia-based Jefferson Medical College. He completed his residency and fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis' School of Medicine.
5. Dr. Edmundowicz is a past associate editor for both ASGE News and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
6. During his presidential term, he plans to implement a new leadership program aimed at developing industry relevant skills post-fellowship.