ASC procedure volume could grow by up to 7 percent annually through 2021, up from 4 percent to 5 percent over the past three years, according to a Bain & Co. report.
Here are five more insights:
1. Analysts expect orthopedic, spine and cardio procedures to be the fastest-growing ASC segments through the mid-2020s.
2. ASCs currently save the U.S. healthcare system $40 billion annually, with that number projected to grow as more procedures migrate to the outpatient space.
3. In 2018, 5,700 ASCs performed 23 million procedures and generated $35 billion in revenue.
4. Medical technology companies will feel pressure from the growing industry because of lower reimbursement rates and differing midsets between ASC and hospital administrators.
5. Nearly 60 percent of unaffiliated physicians are interested in practicing in an ASC, according to a recent survey.
Read the whole report here.