Philadelphia-based Rothman Orthopaedics partnered with ASC platform company NueHealth and MUVE Health, a developer and operator of total joint and spine centers, to integrate their models and platforms.
Five things to know:
1. The three companies are forming a joint venture designed to expand, replicate and scale the success the partners have already seen in the greater Philadelphia market. Rothman currently has more than 200 physicians and 40 locations, and operates 45 surgical sites in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
2. The partnership will expand and integrate their platforms beyond their current markets; they are currently assessing opportunities with orthopedic practices and health systems in Florida, Texas and the Midwest.
3. In addition to expanding west, the partnership will increase capability and technology platforms in the greater Philadelphia and tri-state region, adding five-to-seven MUVE Health total joint and spine centers over the next two years. The partnering centers will focus on high quality, value-based care and work with payers and employers in the region.
4. Rothman estimates its physicians will perform more than 85,000 surgical and pain management procedures in 2019, and most will be performed in high-quality surgical facilities.
"The vision of Rothman Orthopaedics has always been to deliver a national platform to take orthopedic care to new levels of value and clinical excellence for our patients," said Alexander Vaccaro, MD, PhD, president of Rothman Orthopaedics. "With the expansion of NueHealth and MUVE Health relationships, we can share the innovation, clinical performance and economic value we have created together over the past eight years with orthopedic physicians and health systems in key markets across the U.S. Combining our best-in-class clinical practice and ambulatory surgical platforms will accelerate the transformation into value-based care and continue our commitment to developing new treatments, testing new devices and setting surgical standards in orthopedic care."
5. In 2017, Rothman Orthopaedic Institute signed an affiliation agreement with New Hyde Park, N.Y.-based Northwell Health to establish centers of excellence for orthopedic care and opened a practice in Manhattan last year.