With more than 15 strategic partnerships throughout the Southeast, Raleigh, N.C.-based Compass Surgical Partners acquires, manages and develops ASCs, including hospital joint ventures, turnarounds and de novo ambulatory care centers.
Here are 10 things to know.
1. Compass Surgical Partners is known for specializing in ENT, spine and orthopedics, especially outpatient joints. All Compass-operated ASCs are Medicare-certified and accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
2. DJ Hill and Sean Rambo co-founded Compass Surgical Partners in 2011. Mr. Hill leads the company as CEO. He was previously chief development officer of Titan Health, which United Surgical Partners International acquired in 2011.
3. Mr. Rambo is Compass' president and COO. He has been in the ASC industry since 2000 and played a pivotal role in the Titan-USPI merger. In a senior management position with USPI, he oversaw operations and development in the Southeastern U.S.
4. David Hall provides guidance on governance, capital structure, operations, financial management, hospital partnerships and opportunity assessment as chairman of Compass' board of directors. He previously served as Titan Health Corp.'s executive chairman, ASC Network Corp.'s president and CEO and Medical Care International's executive vice president.
5. Compass named Scott White Florida market president in 2017, and he was tasked with overseeing operations at the company's Florida surgery centers and leading the opening of centers Compass had under development. Before joining Compass, he led a team of more than 115 employees as vice president of sales for Intuitive Surgical.
6. In January, Compass Surgical Partners announced it is developing the 10,000-square-foot Skyway Surgery Center, an orthopedic and spine-focused ASC in St. Petersburg, Fla.
7. Compass has a partnership with Stuart, Fla.-based Martin Health System to develop local outpatient surgery options. Together, they operate Tradition Surgery Center in Port St. Lucie and plan to open Stuart Surgery Center this year.
8. Compass and a group of physicians sold a majority stake of Clearwater, Fla.-based Safety Harbor Surgical Center to USPI in March. Compass acquired a minority interest in the center in 2012 and helped return it to viability by implementing a new efficiency program.
9. Compass opened Davenport-based Heart of Florida Surgery Center in 2017 with local physicians and Heart of Florida Regional Medical Center, which is also based in Davenport. The ASC provides orthopedic, spine, podiatry, pain management and gastroenterology services.
10. The Advanced Center for Surgery in Vero Beach, a partnership between Vero Beach, Fla.-based Vero Orthopaedics and Compass Surgical Partners, achieved its first total outpatient shoulder replacement surgery procedure in November 2017.