Phoenix-based Arizona State University and Rochester, Minn.-based Mayo Clinic entered an alliance to create a medical certificate program, according to Healthcare IT News.
Here are five insights:
1. Mayo Clinic's new medical school in Scottsdale, Ariz., will host the certificate program.
2. The program will focus on healthcare costs, with courses on delivering care in ways that enhance quality outcomes and lower cost.
3. Participating students will earn this certificate when they receive their medical degrees from Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. Students may also earn a master's degree through ASU, if they choose.
4. ASU will construct a 150,000-square-foot medical building for the new medical school, a medical technology innovation accelerator and biomedical engineering research labs. The university will start construction of this new facility, called the Health Solutions Innovation Center, in 2017.
5. Mayo will enroll the first 50 students at its Arizona campus next summer.