Here are seven things to know about healthcare-associated infections according to an infographic from HealthyMagination.
1. Anyone admitted to a hospital has a 5 percent chance of contracting an HAI.
2. The hospital length of stay increases by 17.6 days when patients get an HAI.
3. Nearly 99,000 people die in the United States annually from HAIs; this is more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
4. Around 9.4 percent of inpatient costs are HAI-related.
5. HAIs cost the healthcare system around $35 billion per year.
6. There are 69 percent of HAIs affect people with Medicare and Medicaid patients.
7. HAIs account for $1,100 per patient admission.