Naples (Fla.) Day Surgery will close permanently Oct. 19 due to low patient volume and competition from other surgery centers, Naples Daily News reports.
Here's what you should know:
1. The center is predominantly physician-owned and managed. Naples-based NCH Healthcare System has a 15 percent stake in the ASC, and a private investment group including several physicians owns 85 percent.
2. The physicians involved elected to close the center. Going forward, some of them will perform surgeries at NCH facilities and some will go to other locations.
3. The ASC's 64 employees were informed of the decision to close in mid-September and most have found new jobs already, according to Naples Day Surgery Center Executive Director Cathy Blanchard. Patients were informed of the closing through signs and other notices.
4. NCH, which opened Naples Day Surgery in 1986, owns the building where Naples Day Surgery operates. The space has five surgical suites.
5. At its height, the surgery center had 100 active physicians performing a variety of procedures and services, according to Ms. Blanchard.