Health insurer Humana partnered with Walnut Creek, Calif.-based John Muir Health to bring Contra Cost County (Calif.) Humana Medicare Advantage members value-based care, according to HIT Consultant.
Here are five points:
1. John Muir and Humana will devise strategies to enhance Humana's MA members' health while also reducing costs and managing the ongoing population's needs.
2. If the population's health improves, both organizations will financially benefit and will reward physicians for providing high quality care.
3. In 2014, Humana reduced overall costs by 18 percent for its members that providers treated in a value-based reimbursement model, as opposed to fee-for-service.
4. John Muir is the sole participating Medicare accountable care organization in California to achieve shared savings for 2014.
5. Currently, 61 percent of Humana individual Medicare Advantage members are in value-based payment relationships, with the payer hoping to increase that figure to 75 percent by 2017.
More articles on coding & billing:
Average American family healthcare costs exceed $25k+ — 6 insights
How increasing premiums & deductibles could reign in Medicare spending: 5 notes
CMS expands CPC+ eligibility requirements to include some Medicare ACOs: 7 takeaways