Tara Vail, COO of HSTPathways, outlined five ways ASCs can save time and money during the preauthorization process in an article for Inside Digital Health.
The key details to know:
1. Confirm insurance benefits, eligibility and coverage right away.
2. Determine if the procedure needs preauthorization by checking payer contracts.
3. Record the authorized procedure, as well as the date and for how long the authorization is valid.
4. Request a retroactive authorization for additional services not included in the original authorization if necessary.
5. Double-check to ensure codes for treatment match the codes in the authorization before submitting the claim.