Inefficient medical billing processes could cost ASCs thousands of dollars in lost revenue, according to Medisys Data Solutions, a billing services provider.
Five strategies to improve billing and collections:
1. Continuously measure performance against national averages and market leaders.
2. Automate menial tasks that would otherwise require manual input from billers.
3. Identify opportunities for improvement by retroactively reviewing and reporting any changes made to claims.
4. Make billers' jobs more rewarding by allowing them to review and analyze edits, make decisions and provide feedback.
5. Because payers' guidelines and rules vary, have billers specialize in one payer type.
More articles on coding, billing and collections:
The 3 revenue cycle benchmarks ASCs should track
3 key performance indicators for ASCs
What the rise in high-deductible health plans means for ASCs — 3 Qs with an expert