The Joint Commission released a new advisory covering how providers can ensure they collect accurate patient identification.
Here are the key details to know:
1. An active conformation process can help match documentation with the correct patient.
2. Standardizing processes for patient identification and capturing patient information wherever registration occurs ensures accurate patient identification.
3. Information necessary for identifying patients should be displayed on printouts, wristbands and electronic displays.
4. Adopting monitoring systems should be put in place to detect identification errors such as inspecting for errors and duplicate patient records.
5. Creating specific alerts and notifications can warn users if they create a record with the same name as another patient.