U.S. District Judge Reed C. O'Connor convicted anesthesiologist and co-founder of Dallas-based Forest Park Medical Center system Richard F. Toussaint Jr., MD, of committing a $10 million healthcare fraud scheme, according to a Dallas Business Journal report.
Here are seven key notes:
1. Dr. Toussaint began submitting falsified claims to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, United Healthcare, the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program and others, in 2009-2010.
2. Dr. Toussaint submitted claims for procedures that took place while he was out of the state or at other hospitals. He also filed a claim for a procedure that he was undergoing.
3. When Dr. Toussaint was in the operating room, he also increased the amount of time it took to perform the procedures and directed others to do the same, according to the report.
4. He is the co-founder of the Forest Park Medical Center system, which includes hospitals in Dallas, Frisco, Fort Worth and Southlake, all in Texas.
5. The Forest Park Medical Center system filed for bankruptcy last month. The system has settled numerous physician kickback suits over the years.
6. Dr. Toussaint was found guilty on seven counts of fraud.
7. He is facing up to 10 years in federal prison and a maximum $250,000 fine for each of the seven counts. He will be required to pay restitution.