5 Recent Fraud Cases Involving Healthcare CEOs
1. Former executive of Tampa-based WellCare Health Plans charged for allegedly falsifying documents in attempts to defraud Medicaid. The executives include former CEO Todd Farha; general counsel Thaddeus Bereday; CFO Paul Behrens; vice president of Harmony Behavioral Health, a WellCare subsidiary, William Kale; and vice president of medical economics Peter Clay.
2. Former CFO of Columbia, S.C.-based UCI Medical Affiliates sentenced to 6.5 years in prison for embezzlement. Jerry F. Wells must also repay the $2.9 million he embezzled from the company and will spend three years on supervised release.
3. New York City-based Forest Laboratories CEO faces possible exclusion from federal health programs. After the pharmaceutical giant agreed to pay $313 million in order to settle a fraud case last year, Howard Solomon received a letter stating he faces a possible ban from participation in federal health programs.
4. Former CEO of Ohio Valley Health Services in Wheeling, W. Va., sued for alleged illegal payments to physicians. In the same lawsuit filed by OVHS, the health system alleges former CEO Brian Felici drained a $38 million endowment fund to hide operating losses.
5. Trial of Raymond L. Shoemaker, the former CEO and COO of Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville, Miss., rescheduled for June. Mr. Shoemaker, who faces kickback allegations, has pleaded not guilty to the charges filed against him.
Related Articles on Healthcare Fraud:
Texas Podiatrist Pleads Guilty to Bilking Medicare, Medicaid
Quest Diagnostics Agrees to Pay $241M to Settle Charges of Medi-Cal Abuse
Texas' Onward Medical Supply Owner Sentenced to 84-Months Imprisonment for Fraud Scheme
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- MEDNAX acquires Surgical Directions
- 35 summer reading picks for surgeons
- Becker's Healthcare announces ambulatory surgery center educational program
- Becker's Healthcare announces hospital chief information officer strategy roundtable
- Becker's Healthcare announces hospital chief executive officer strategy roundtable