6 Human Resources Practices to Maximize ASC Performance
1. Hire "A" players. "A" players are employees who share the values of the ASC. "It's so important that you have a team that buys into the same set of core values," Mr. Jacobs said.
2. Mentor supervisors. ASC administrators should mentor supervisors to improve their effectiveness as frontline managers.
3. Manage benefits. ASCs should consider offering wellness programs and consumer-directed health plans combined with a health savings account or health reimbursement arrangement to reduce the cost of employee benefits, according to Mr. Jacobs.
4. Manage general compensation. The Ambulatory Surgery Center Association's salary survey is a good starting point for determining employees' compensation, Mr. Jacobs said. ASC administrators can then develop point factors, in which employees receive points for their performance in certain areas, and these points translate to a salary range.
5. Manage risk. ASC administrators should create a risk management assessment tool they can use to list risk events that occurred and their associated dollar value. ASCs can generate savings by managing these risks appropriately, such as by taking steps to reduce employee turnover.
6. Everything else. ASCs should automate HR processes and should create an employee self-service portal staff can use to update their information, request vacation and review their benefits, according to Mr. Jacobs.
More Articles on the 10th Annual Orthopedic, Spine and Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference:Case Costing, Benchmarking and More: 10 Ways to Improve Profits in ASCs
3 Business Considerations for Hand Surgery in ASCs
5 Best Clinical Practices, Business Strategies for Spine-Driven Centers
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.