Top 5 Specialties With the Largest Number of Active Physicians
There were more internal medicine physicians in the United States in 2010 than any other specialty physicians, according to the "2012 Physician Specialty Data Book," prepared by the Center for Workforce Studies at the Association of American Medical Colleges.
The primary data sources for this report include the American Medical Association 2011 Physician Masterfile, population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau and the AAMC/AMA National Graduate Medical Education Census.
The top five specialties with the largest number of active physicians in 2010 were:
1. Internal Medicine — 109,048
2. Family Medicine/General Practice — 106,549
3. Pediatrics — 55,509
4. Obstetrics & Gynecology — 40,377
5. Anesthesiology — 40,123
More Articles on Practice Management:Team-Based Pre-Procedural Pause Makes For Near-Perfect Checklist Completion
Medical Practice Marketing: 5 Common Mistakes
7 Statistics on Number of Patients Physicians See Per Day
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
8 Practice Proactivity PrinciplesRead Now
- Precision Orthopedics surgeons host robotic joint replacement seminar for patients
- Utah Surgical Arts reaccredited by AAAHC
- The need to change: What ASC owners can learn from 3 legendary Chicago businesses
- 12 ASCs With Innovative Cost-Cutting Initiatives
- MEDNAX acquires Associated Anesthesiologists of Joliet, 3 related entities