Email Making Costs Clear: How Hospitals Can Help Drive Price Transparency Tool Development
In 2006, Danville, Pa.-based Geisinger Health System decided to take its electronic portal for patients to the next level. The portal already offered access to patients' clinical records. However, it didn't provide price estimates. In an effort to make billing more patient friendly, Geisinger decided to change that, says Kevin Brennan, the health system's CFO and executive vice president of finance.
That's how Geisinger's MyEstimate got its start. The tool lets patients use an online estimator to find out how much they'll owe for various services. They can also fill out a form online to receive a price estimate from Geisinger. Both methods take into account the type of health insurance patients have, their individual benefit design and factors such as their year-to-date deductible information. "What the patient would get was the best estimate available for the service that was being ordered for them by a physician," Mr. Brennan says.
Read the full report on Becker's Hospital Review.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
ASC stock report: 5 key company updates — Jan. 22Read Now
- Fujifilm's ground breaking technology
- 3 ASCs that aced accreditation surveys
- U.S. Anesthesia Partners adds Anesthesia Consultants of Dallas
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Ashwin Ananthakrishnan of Massachusetts General Hospital
- Postop NSAIDs increases anastomotic complication risk among colorectal resection patients, study finds