Medicare-Certified ASC Trends: 130 Net OR Increase in 2013
According to an analysis of new Medicare ASC data performed by Healthcare Transaction Advisors (HCTA), the ASC industry squeaked out a small increase in the number of Medicare-certified ASCs in 2013.
For 2013, it appears 141 new ASCs were certified and 85 ASCs were de-certified, resulting in a net increase of 56 ASCs in the United States (1.05 percent increase). There were 5,374 Medicare-certified ASCs as of December 31, 2013, compared to 5,318 at the end of 2012.
Similarly, 344 new ASC operating rooms were introduced under new Medicare ASC certifications while 214 were de-certified, resulting in a net increase of 130 ASC operating rooms.
HCTA makes the entire, updated list of Medicare-certified ASCs available for free download quarterly on its website at www.HCTadvisor.com. Data fields for the complete ASC list include:
1) Facility name
2) Street address
5) Zip code
6) Medicare participation date
7) Date Medicare certification terminated (if applicable)
8) Operating room count
9) Number of major Changes of Ownership (CHOWs)
10) Date of most recent major CHOW
11) Surgical specialties
Nicholas Newsad, MHSA is a co-owner of Healthcare Transaction Advisors. Healthcare Transaction Advisors providers provides healthcare M&A and provider alignment consulting services to physicians, hospitals, health systems and other types of healthcare organizations.
More Articles on Transactions and Valuation Issues:
Combing Forces: Are ASC Mergers the Answer to the Challenging Healthcare Environment?
9 Hospitals & Health Systems Planning, Opening ASCs
8 ASC Company Q1 Financial Results: Stormy, but Promising Start to 2014
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- PENTAX Medical launches OPTIVISTA video processor in the US, Medigus' MUSE system safe for long-term GERD treatment & more — 14 GI company key notes
- GI physicians, PCPs have differing reasons for recommending surveillance colonoscopy to seniors: 5 findings
- Approximately 50% of Crohn's disease patients receiving STELARA achieved clinical remission: 4 insights from a new study
- VA proposes rule to allow CRNAs to expand scope of practice: 5 notes
- Thank you for downloading "Consumerism Is Here: The Art & Science of Acquiring New Patients"