Antibiotics: 8 Studies & Stories for Providers
The following are eight reports on antibiotic-related news and studies from the last month:
1. In response to growing concerns about antibiotic resistant bacteria, the Food and Drug Administration has instituted policies to restrict the use of antibiotics on animals raised for meat, according to a report from The New York Times.
Sign up for our FREE E-Weekly for more coverage like this sent to your inbox!
2. The American Association of Pediatrics released a set of principles for general antibiotic prescription.
3. An oral antibiotic treatment with nonabsorbable drugs may help eradicate Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae colonization, according to a study published in the American Journal of Infection Control.
4. Antibiotic research, production, distribution and use must undergo a complete transformation if the world hopes to avoid losing the power of antibiotics altogether, according to major report by 26 global antibiotic experts published in The Lancet: Infectious Diseases.
5. An article in Medium depicted a future in which the world is on a road back to the pre-antibiotic era, citing trends in antibiotic production and clinical use.
6. Trends in pediatric antibiotic therapy show 43 percent of all antibiotic therapy goes to surgical patients, while 10 percent of all antibiotic therapy is used for four main conditions, according to research published in Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.
7. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention hosted the sixth annual Get Smart About Antibiotics Week, intended to improve antibiotic stewardship and awareness surrounding antibiotic prescription and use.
8. The probiotics in yogurt may help protect patients on antibiotics from healthcare-associated infections and other ailments, such as antibiotic-associated diarrhea, according to early findings from Meadowbrook, PA.-based Holy Redeemer Hospital.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Ultrasound-Guided Paravertebral Blocks May Improve Quality of Recovery After Breast Surgery, Study Finds
- ASA: CMS Calls for Volunteers for End-to-End ICD-10 Claims Testing
- Avoiding ASC Claims Denials in the ICD-10 Age: 8 Key Concepts
- Top Risk-Management Concern for CFOs: Unanticipated Labor Costs
- Avoiding a Wrong Intraocular Lens Implant