6 Actions to Prevent HIPAA Violations
In a Physicians Practice article, Aubrey Westgate, discusses technology missteps to avoid so your medical practice is not in danger of violating HIPAA.
Here are six actions to avoid:
1. Storing electronic protected health information on local devices.
2. Failing to encrypt and password protect mobile devices.
3. Emailing unencrypted electronic protected health information.
4. Using personal or patient-provided thumb drives.
5. Discarding fax machines, scanners or printers without shredding hard drives.
6. Failing to back up electronic protected health information securely.
More Articles on Practice Management:Physicians Have Until January 31 to Change Medicare Participation Status
Is a Physician Shortage Inevitable? Most Likely
7 Things to Know About a Practice's HIT Budget
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review