10 Interesting Facts About Surgery Center Chains
Here are 10 interesting facts about surgery center chains, according to SDI’s 2008 Outpatient Surgery Center Market Report.
1. In 2008, there are 394 surgery chains that own, manage or lease surgery centers.
2. The 394 chains own, manage or lease 2,136 surgery centers.
3. Those figures are up from 2006, which saw 222 surgery center chains owning, managing or leasing 1,341 surgery centers. 2004 had 142 chains with 984 surgery centers; 2002 saw 106 chains with 787 centers, and 2000 had just 93 chains owning 740 centers.
4. Out of 5,876 surgery centers in 2008, 36 percent belong to a multi-facility chain.
5. Here are the ratios of the total number of surgery centers to those that are part of a multi-facility chain, looking at the even years over the past eight years (with percentage of surgery centers that are part of a chain):
- 2000 — 3,208 : 740 (23.1 percent)
- 2002 — 3,570 : 787 (22.0 percent)
- 2004 — 3,957 : 984 (24.9 percent)
- 2006 — 5,349 : 1,341 (25.1 percent)
- 2008 — 5,876 : 2,136 (36.4 percent)
6. Outpatient surgery centers have the lowest percentage of relationships with multi-facility chains when compared to their industry peers. In 2007, 34 percent of surgery centers were affiliated with a chain, moving up to 36 percent in 2008.
- Medical group practices had 36 percent affiliation in 2007 and 43 percent in 2008.
- Cancer centers had 66 percent in 2007, 67 percent in 2008.
- Hospitals saw a big surge in 2008, moving up from 66 percent affiliation in 2007 to 73 percent in 2008.
- Imaging centers had 77 percent in 2008, 78 percent in 2008.
7. There are 25 surgery center chains that own, manage or lease 11 or more centers in 2008. These chains own, manage and lease 986 centers, which is 46 percent of the entire number of surgery centers affiliated with a chain (2,136).
8. There are 53 chains that own, manage or lease 5-10 surgery centers. These chains are involved with 373 centers, or 17 percent of all centers affiliated with a chain.
9. There are 107 chains that own, manage or lease 3-4 surgery centers. These chains are involved with 359 centers, or about 17 percent of all centers affiliated with a chain.
10. Most chains (209) own, manage or lease two surgery centers. These chains are involved with 418 centers, or about 20 percent of all centers affiliated with a chain.
Source: SDI's 2008 Outpatient Surgery Center Market Report.
To learn more about SDI and this report, go to www.sdihealth.com.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
11 key considerations for physicians when choosing where to practiceRead Now
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Marla Dubinsky of Mount Sinai Hospital
- CMOSIS plans to open U.S. office
- Fischer Laser Eye Center among first to adopt topography-assisted LASEK procedure
- British Journal of Anaesthesia names Dr. Kane Pryor to associate editorial board
- Pivotal moments in GI: 4 gastroenterologists share the turning points of their career