5 things to know about SurgCenter Development's 2 Founding Principals — Dr. Gregory George & Sean O'Neal
Gregory George, MD, PhD and Sean O'Neal teamed up on plans to open an ASC management company in 1993, with Pismo Beach, Calif.-based SurgCenter Development fully launching in 2002.
Here are five things to know about Dr. George and Sean O'Neal:
1. An ophthalmologist by training, Dr. George founded the company alongside Mr. O'Neal after recognizing the need for surgeons to have more control over their practice, including daily schedule, surgical time, operating room protocols and surgical staffing.
2. Dr. George earned his PhD in ocular physiology and medical degree from Durham, N.C.-based Duke University.
3. Mr. O'Neal's healthcare management career has spanned more than 30 years.
4. His leadership experience includes serving as a hospital CEO for more than 20 years as well as a member of California Association of Hospitals and Health Systems' board of directors.
5. Under Dr. George's and Mr. O'Neal's leadership, SurgCenter Development has established 105 physician-owned ASCs.
More articles on leadership and management:
Staffing Industry Analysts names AMN Healthcare CEO Susan Salka to fall of fame: 3 insights
Physicians responsible for some variation in healthcare spending — but is it justified? 5 key points
Trump picks Dr. Scott Gottlieb as FDA commissioner: 5 things to know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.