UC-Irvine Physicians Outline Trends in Diverticulitis in U.S. From 2002-2007

An analysis of diverticulitis trends from 2002-2007 indicates the GI condition continues to be a major source of morbidity among U.S. citizens, according to an article published in the Archives of Surgery.

Physicians from the University of California-Irvine conducted a retrospective database analysis of more than 1 million patients who were admitted with diverticulitis. Their analysis showed the rate of emergency admission increased 9.5 percent over the study period. Of these emergency admission cases, 12.2 percent underwent urgent surgical resection while the remaining 87.8 percent received nonoperative treatment.

Notably, elective laparoscopic surgery increased dramatically from 6.8 percent to 13.5 percent in the study period.

Read the study about trends in diverticulitis.

Related Articles on GI Studies:
10 Recent Gastroenterology Studies Making Headlines
Study: No Significant Difference Between CTC, Colonoscopy Polyp Size
Tuft University's EFOST Technology Could Lessen Colonoscopy Pain

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.

 

Top 40 Articles from the Past 6 Months