The Role of Informed Patient Choice in CRC Screening Adherence
A study recently published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology compared CRC screening adherence in a group patients offering a choice in screening modality to a group offered no choice. Here are four things to know about the study.
• Of the patients included in the study, 6,397 were offering a choice of a yearly fecal immunochemical test for up to three years vs. one colonoscopy. The other 4,209 patients included in the study were offered FIT or colonoscopy without a choice.
• The group offered a choice demonstrated FIT adherence of 97.6 percent, 84.1 percent and 72.6 percent in the first three years of follow-up. Patients that chose colonoscopy had an adherence rate of 95.7 percent
• In group of patients offered no choice, those offered FIT had an adherence rate of 97.5 percent, 78.4 percent and 62.8 percent for the first three years of follow-up. Those offered colonoscopy had an adherence rate of 90.6 percent.
• Researchers concluded that patients offered a choice of CRC screening modality had a higher adherence rate than patients who were not offered a choice. The results suggest patient choice should be included in CRC screening methods.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
How Can Gastroenterologists Take Part in Population Health Initiatives?
What Role Can Vitamin D Play in CRC Survival Rate?
8 Things to Know About Gastroenterologist Employment
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Spring Creek Surgical Center receives AAAHC accreditation
- From physician to billionaire: Dr. Keith Dunleavy’s net worth tops $1B with healthcare data analytics firm
- 5 most read GI/endoscopy stories: May 16 – May 20
- 6 points of contention between Anthem & Cigna: Will it derail the merger?
- FDA clears Avantis Medical's Third Eye Panoramic for reuse after colonoscopy: 5 notes