Study: Gastroenterologists More Likely Than Oncologists to Obtain Detailed Family History of Colorectal Cancer
Researchers analyzed physicians' abilities to obtain appropriate medical history of CRC and refer patients to CRC genetic services via a web-based survey. The researchers also provided an educational webpage on inherited CRCs.
Results revealed that 98.9 percent of respondents obtained a medical history very frequently. However, gastroenterologist respondents asked about relatives' age at cancer diagnosis and family history of polyps more frequently and were more likely to refer patients for genetic counseling than oncologists. Gastroenterologists also had more knowledge of the availability of genetic testing for Lynch syndrome and for familial adenomatous polyposis.
Viewing the educational webpage increased awareness of genetic testing for LS, FAP and Peutz-Jeghers Syndrome, recognition of LS family pedigrees and selection of appropriate surveillance for all respondents.
Read the Journal of Clinical Oncology abstract on colorectal cancer genetic risk assessments.
Read more coverage on GI issues:
- Study: Commensal Genomes Findings May Affect Diagnosis, Regulation of E. Coli
- Chicago Shows Greatest Regional Increase in Covered Virtual Colonoscopies
- Gastroenterologist on the Move: Dr. David Neil Roberts Joins OU Physicians
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
Cantel Medical CEO sells 11k+ shares: 5 things to knowRead Now
- Succeed as a new manager: 5 tips
- How to turn ASC staffing from a cost-center into a value center — 8 key steps
- Healthcare services M&A: 10 key trends
- AAOS selects Medline Industries as distribution partner
- Did the ASC industry end the year with a bang or a bust? 50 things to know about 4Q, year-end financial results