Meaningful Use in Gastroenterology: What Do Practice Leaders Need to Know?
Here are three important areas of meaningful use for gastroenterologists to understand, according to the American Gastroenterological Association's AGA Roadmap to the Future of GI Toolbox.
• 2011 to 2014: Stage 1 Meaningful Use
• 2013 to 2016: Stage 2 Meaningful Use
• Jan. 1, 2015: Deadline to adopt and demonstrate meaningful use or face annual 1 percent decrease in Medicare payments.
• 2017: Stage 3 Meaningful Use expected to begin. Focus to be on improved outcomes.
• Physicians (MDs and DOs)
• Nurse practitioners
• Physician assistants who serve in federally qualified health centers or rural health clinics led by a physician assistant
• Professionals who provide 90 percent of services in a hospital inpatient or emergency room setting are not eligible for incentive payments
• Participants can receive up to $44,000 through the Medicare EHR Incentive Program
• Participations can receive up to $63,750 through the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
• Providers who do not adopt EHRs and demonstrate meaningful use by 2015 will face 1 percent payment cuts to Medicare reimbursement each year
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Gastroenterology in the News: 38 Physician Moves & Honors
4 Statistics on Colorectal Cancer in 2014
Digestive Endoscopy Center Wins Integrity Award
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
Synthetic Biologics presents 2 posters at Digestive Disease WeekRead Now
- USPI partners with Surgical Institute of Reading — 7 key notes
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center purchases properties, including ASC — 5 things to know
- Orthopaedic Institute for Children breaks ground on ASC — 7 things to know
- 15 eye centers achieve Cataract Innovator status
- Biggest hazards facing ASCs: 3 leaders share opinions