GI Diseases in the U.S.: $142B in Direct, Indirect Costs
• Hospitalizations and mortality associated with C. difficile infections have doubled in the last decade.
• Colorectal cancer is the leading cause of GI-related mortality.
• In 2009, 6.9 million upper endoscopies, 11.5 million lower endoscopies and 228,000 biliary endoscopies were performed.
• In 2009, outpatient GI endoscopy examinations reached a total cost of $32.4 billion.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
U.S. Endoscopy Releases New Snare
How Will Bundled Payments Affect GI? 3 Gastroenterologists Chime In
Colorectal Cancer Following Colonoscopy: 5 Things to Know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- 19 states that require CRNA supervision or written agreements to practice
- 27 states where CRNAs can practice independently
- CareCredit turns 30: 5 key company milestones
- Teachers Advisors bolsters stake in AmSurg in Q3; Tenet to sell hospitals in noncore markets & more — 4 ASC company key notes
- Researchers target 3 improvement areas to reduce pediatric adverse events: 4 observations