GI Diseases in the U.S.: $142B in Direct, Indirect Costs
• Hospitalizations and mortality associated with C. difficile infections have doubled in the last decade.
• Colorectal cancer is the leading cause of GI-related mortality.
• In 2009, 6.9 million upper endoscopies, 11.5 million lower endoscopies and 228,000 biliary endoscopies were performed.
• In 2009, outpatient GI endoscopy examinations reached a total cost of $32.4 billion.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
U.S. Endoscopy Releases New Snare
How Will Bundled Payments Affect GI? 3 Gastroenterologists Chime In
Colorectal Cancer Following Colonoscopy: 5 Things to Know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- 5 legislative changes for ASCs leaders to note — Feb. 22, 2017
- Takeda completes Ariad Pharmaceutical acquisition following NY law firm investigation — 3 GI companies making waves
- 19 ASC partnerships for SCA in 2016
- President Trump delays CMS bundles implementation by 60 days: 4 things to know
- GI leader to know: Dr. Shahab Aftahi of Estrella Gastroenterology