Carnegie Hill Endoscopy Named First Fuse Endoscopy System Center of Excellence: 5 Things to Know
1. The Fuse Endoscopy System has a 330 degree field of view using three cameras on the tip of the scope, opposed to the one camera on the tip of traditional scopes. A recent study published in The Lancet Oncology found that standard colonoscopes miss 41 percent of adenomas. The Fuse system detected 69 percent more adenomas than standard, forward-viewing colonoscopy.
2. Carnegie Hill Endoscopy, affiliated with Physicians Endoscopy, includes 22 physicians. The endoscopy center is an affiliate of the Mount Sinai Health System. The endoscopy center equipped all five of its procedure rooms with the Fuse system. "After years of research and development, we are pleased to make this revolutionary technology available to patients. It's encouraging to see leading physicians across the United States embrace the technology," said EndoChoice Founder and CEO Mark Gilreath in the report.
3. Blair Lewis, MD, is the medical director of Carnegie Hill Endoscopy and a clinical professor of medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. During Digestive Disease Week in Chicago, Dr. Lewis spoke during a clinical symposium held by EndoChoice. He discussed the process of adding the fuse system to Carnegie Hill Endoscopy, which performs approximately 13,000 cases per year.
4. Adenoma detection rate is one of the most important quality benchmarks for gastroenterologists. Missed adenomas leaves patients open to the risk of interval colorectal cancer. "Finding and removing more pre-cancerous polyps directly reduces the risk of developing cancer between colonoscopies," said Dr. Lewis in the report. The increased ADR the Fuse system demonstrates may lead to a decrease in interval colorectal cancer cases.
5. EndoChoice, based in Atlanta, Ga., was founded in 2008. The medical technology company focuses on the manufacturing and commercialization of platform technologies, including the Fuse system. The Fuse system received FDA clearance in 2013.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
4 Statistics on Colorectal Cancer in 2014
Digestive Endoscopy Center Wins Integrity Award
HHS, AGA Collaborate to Address GI Public Health Issues
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- ICD-10 grace period up Oct. 1: 5 things to know
- Uber jumps into healthcare with Circulation platform for non-emergent care: 6 key points
- Back in business: Caryl Serbin on big challenges for ASCs & launching Serbin Medical Billing
- ASD Management: How a private firm with decades of experience can improve your ASC
- Experienced RN Administrator / Venice, FL